Subject: Re: Good Install
To: David Lewis <davelewis@mindspring.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/27/1997 15:31:25
> It has the DP8390CN chip on the board. How would I go about getting
> the ae driver to work with it?

We need to determine several different variables about the card:

	* The vendor ID of the manufacturer.  This is basically like the
	  ID described in the video how-to:
		http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/video.html
	* The base address of the RAM on the card.
	* The base address of the ethernet MAC address PROM on the card.
	* The base address of the registers.
	* The format of the registers (some cards have them in an odd
	  format).

Some of the addresses may be visible from the Slots program.  If the
card runs without a custom driver (i.e., with the standard Apple
driver), I can compile a test kernel that will treat it like an Apple
card and we can see if that will work.  Even if it doesn't work like
an Apple card, we should be able to figure out a couple of those
addresses pretty easily.

Drop me a note off the list when you get the first bit of info, or if
you have any more questions.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com