Subject: Re: color X quest
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/27/1997 09:42:31
Armen Babikyan wrote:

> okay, i ran across a problem i don't know how to fix.
>
> I ftp'ed to ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/X/colorkit and i downloaded the
> most recent kernel and Xserver.
>
> i followed the directions given in the README and i rebooted.
>
> the new kernel stops boot at "nubus0 at mainbus0". the rest of the bootlog
> looks normal. i got the same result trying different bit-depths with my
> nubus 24-bit video card, including black and white, which used to work with
> GENERIC#1.  i also used either monitor (internal video or 24-bit Macintosh
> Display Card) for booting, but no go. both monitors are on 640x480, by the
> way.
>
> rearranging (basically removing) other nubus cards didn't fix the problem.
>
> anything else i could try? I have a IIvx, btw.

It sounds like the interrupts on your video card are causing some
difficulties.  Since Taras' last colorkit kernel is rather old, I'd
recommend getting a kernel which you know works with your machine and
card (GENERIC#1??, assuming that it supports LKM's, which it might not)
and then obtain a copy of the LKM (loadable kernel module).  I'm pretty
sure that the FAQ explains how to set it up.

This might work where Taras' kernel does not.  If you need to get the LKM
to work with recent -current kernels, let me know (there have been a few
changes since Taras wrote the LKM, so I've got some patches to work around
that).

I hope this helps.

Later.