Subject: color X quest
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/27/1997 00:55:15
since the intvid color stuff isn't out yet, i went out and got a new video
card to play with.

it's a 24-bit video card (i did the math, anyway), and has the ability to
change to B+W, 4, 16, 256, or "millions" or colors. funny, no thousands
were mentioned. NetBSD recognized it as a Macintosh Display Card.

i looked through section 9.13 of the FAQ and found that i needed the
Xserver, the lkm modules and a kernel that has taras' grf driver.  well,
the lkm modules (what are lkm's anyway?) and the Xserver had links, but
where should i go looking for a kernel that has taras' grf driver?

i am also interested in using my internal video as a second monitor for X,
obviously in B+W since the invid stuff isn't out yet like i said. is this
easily possible, even though one monitor will be in 8-bit color and the
other in 1-bit? it doesn't matter to me which monitor the computer starts
off of either.

if any of this requires the NetBSD source tree, i have that (just moved it
to 270MB drive while the 80MB sbc/ncrscsi problem gets resolved).

I use the two monitor setup currently in B+W, using the GENERIC#1 kernel,
because 1 monitor at 640x480 is kinda ugly, and kind of hard to use
sometimes.

thanks a lot for any info,

  - a

 Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu