Subject: Re: shutdown -r
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/25/1997 16:12:59
Colin Wood wrote:

> Hmmm...yeah, I seem to remember someone else saying this at some point.
> There must be some low memory global that we don't quite have the right
> address for on the IIcx which we are touching.  The only problem with that
> idea is that I thought a reboot pretty much wiped everything in memory,
> but I guess maybe it doesn't.

How does MacOS determine a cold vs. warm startup?

Maybe on reboot MacOS looks for a particular number at a particular
memory location to determine this. If this is the case, maybe we
should zap ALL of low level memory right before we "reboot". This
would cause MacOS to ignore all low level globals and re-create them,
as it would assume a cold boot.

Just a guess, though.

	--John