Subject: Re: networking with ethernet/appletalk?
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/25/1997 02:29:18
On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, SamMaEl wrote:
> 	Hey all... I think this is my first post... at least I don't
> recall any previous posts to my knowledge ;-)
>
> 	Just for everyone's information, for those who care, I'm a 20 year
> old (now) computer science (was a music composition major... go figure
> ;-)) major who is currently between colleges (and making money so I can go

Hiyas :) Well, I'm a 21 year old former math major and college dropout :)

> 	That is what my post is about..... networking under NetBSD with
> another NetBSD machine and a MacOS machine (my Powerbook 540c) with
> ethernet. In the list's opinion, what would be the easiest way to network
> the 3 machines? (and possibly an i386 running Linux or NetBSD/i386, once I
> fix it...) I already have the Powerbook 540c's built in ethernet... just
> need an adapter. And, I have an Asante MacCon ethernet card I HAD in
> the IIci, but I took it out when I had trouble with it in the middle
> slot... (not sure of the exact model, as it is packed for my pending
> move...) What other hardware (besides another ethernet card [or 2 if the
> Asante doesn't work reliably]) would the list recommend? A 3-4(5?)
> computer network...

I don't know which ethernet cards are supported by NetBSD, but 10Base-T
(twisted pair) ethernet should be simple to set up, and fairly
inexpensive. Last I checked, Data Comm Warehouse had an 8 port hub for
$59. Besides the ethernet cards, all you need is a hub and some cables to
hook 'em all together.

> 	Also... out of curiosity, is anyone thinking of adding Appletalk
> support to the mac68k kernel? (or does it already exist?) I notice that
> sometimes when I have been using System 7 file sharing between my IIci and
> my Powerbook and then boot the IIci into BSD, the connection drops... is
> anyone thinking of porting Appleshare for NetBSD/mac68k? ;-)

NetBSD-current has Appletalk :) Just add "options NETATALK" to your kernel
config file and make a new kernel... (note that Appletalk isn't the same
as Localtalk. Localtalk isn't supported yet, but it's being worked on).
Appleshare is done too; you can get an Appleshare server from
toccata.fugue.com. I don't know the exact directory or filename though,
and the ftp server seems to be a bit messed up :( It won't give directory
listings, although if you know the name of files/directories, you can
still get to them. I run an Appleshare server on my NetBSD/i386 machine,
and connect to it from my Mac... works very well :)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++