Subject: Re: New esp driver to try
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Ethan Gold <etgold@cs.vassar.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/25/1997 16:23:16
I just tried this new kernel (first BSD boot in months) and it worked
beautifully. I've got a Centris 650 with 24MB RAM, 230MB internal HD on 0,
230MB external on 1 (both quantum), LaCie 640MB MO on 2, CD-ROM on 3. BSD
is installed on a 230MB MO disk and had not been able to write files
previously without wrecking things. reading and writing seem to be quite
happy now. Even my internal ethernet is working, but the netBSD route
command has me befuddled, despite my linux and StunOS experience. I don't
have X as it wasn't worth the bother before, but may try now. I have to
reboot without extensions and insert
the MO disk after everything's up to make sure the driver doesn't get
loaded, otherwise macOS ejects it on BSD boot.

        -Ethan

>If you're using the esp driver on a Quadra or Centris (esp.  if you're
>using something other than fixed disks--JAZ, ZIP, tapes, scanners,
>CD-ROMs, etc.), I'd really like to hear how this driver does on your
>system.  Note that if you don't have DAFB, you don't get any
>improvement from these changes.

| Ethan Gold, Vassar College class of '97           |
| http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~etgold/                 |
| UGS Research Assistant                            |
| Nonproliferation and International Security       |
| Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM    |