Subject: networking with ethernet/appletalk?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1997 22:22:37
	Hey all... I think this is my first post... at least I don't
recall any previous posts to my knowledge ;-)

	Just for everyone's information, for those who care, I'm a 20 year
old (now) computer science (was a music composition major... go figure
;-)) major who is currently between colleges (and making money so I can go
back!) I have a Mac IIci which I am running NetBSD 1.2.1 with the
distribution kernel (just dl'ed the sources to start building my own...),
20 MB RAM, Radius Precision (24 bit) video card, Apple 16" monitor, 220 MB
Toshiba internal HD (MacOS 7.5), 1.3 GB external Quantum Fireball HD (330
MB for BSD, 40 MB Swap, rest MacOS) and just added a 12x external APS
CD-Rom. Just bought an internal 170 MB HD for my Mac IIsi so I can run
NetBSD on it as well... and going to network it with the IIci as soon as I
get a little extra cash to get another ethernet card and a small ethernet
hub.

	That is what my post is about..... networking under NetBSD with
another NetBSD machine and a MacOS machine (my Powerbook 540c) with
ethernet. In the list's opinion, what would be the easiest way to network
the 3 machines? (and possibly an i386 running Linux or NetBSD/i386, once I
fix it...) I already have the Powerbook 540c's built in ethernet... just
need an adapter. And, I have an Asante MacCon ethernet card I HAD in
the IIci, but I took it out when I had trouble with it in the middle
slot... (not sure of the exact model, as it is packed for my pending
move...) What other hardware (besides another ethernet card [or 2 if the
Asante doesn't work reliably]) would the list recommend? A 3-4(5?)
computer network...

	Also... out of curiosity, is anyone thinking of adding Appletalk
support to the mac68k kernel? (or does it already exist?) I notice that
sometimes when I have been using System 7 file sharing between my IIci and
my Powerbook and then boot the IIci into BSD, the connection drops... is
anyone thinking of porting Appleshare for NetBSD/mac68k? ;-)

	Thanks! Love what I have seen so far, and I hope to maybe add
something of my own to the fray someday soon ;-)

	- Ryan

-----
Ryan Ordway
rimsky@teleport.com
ryan@ossuary.ml.org

My name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!