Subject: Re: 7.6.1
To: Josh Hope <otaku@hick.com>
From: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1997 08:07:39
On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Josh Hope wrote:

> >Of course.  Could you imagine how long it would take to boot System 7.6.1
> >on a IIsi?  Even with an accelerator on my IIci, it takes at least 5
> >minutes to boot 7.5.5.  Yuck!  If I'm going to be running NetBSD, I use
> >7.1.  It boots in 30 seconds to a minute, depending on whether or not I
> >last booted from the MacOS (rebooting or booting after running NetBSD
> >seems to mangle a few things just enough to noticeably slow the boot
> >process).
>
> Colin,
>
> For some reason, after removing everything from my system file, all my
> fonts, all extensions, 7.6.1 boots extremely quickly on my Performa 600.
> It's only 32MHz, and the thing boots up in under a minute (unless, as you
> pointed out, I boot after running NetBSD...there is a noticeable slow
> down)...

Dunno about after BSD ('cause my hard drive won't come :P ) but I am
booting 7.6.1 (with an intelligent selection of extensions) in probably a
minute - It takes almost a 5 meg stack, but I have sixteen, so I don't
have to run VM, which I htink is the real key. . .

-Adrian

Adrian Rollett						5425 Forbes Ave.
Majetich Lab - Carnegie Mellon University 		Pittsburgh, PA
acrollett@cmu.edu					15217
Finger for pgp public key etc.|