Subject: Re: mounting problems
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/24/1997 01:33:10
Armen Babikyan wrote:

BTW, I don't mean to cramp your writing style, but putting a blank line
btwn paragraphs generally makes things a lot easier to read ;-)

> okay, for now i'm moving my quantum 270 back to my MacOS
> i was able to copy the /usr on the second disk back to the root disk, while
> in single user, and being able to write on the root partition.
> so, i got an 80MB old prodrive. NetBSD surprisingly liked it but i'm having
> problems getting it to mount.
> it's formatted with apple HD SC Setup (it's an apple 80MB-er) and
> partitioned as "Usr Slice" or soemthing like that. slice 3 if i remember
> correctly, there was no slice 1 or 2.
> what are the advantages of having a "usr" partition rather than "root&usr"?
> what's the difference, should i say?

I don't believe that there is a whole lot of difference as far as NetBSD
is concerned.  Basically, it just helps determine which partition letter
will be assigned to the partition.  "Root&Usr" style partitions get
assigned to "a", then "d", and then "e", I think (although "b" might
actually fit in there as well).  "Usr" style partitions tend to get put at
"f", "g", and "h", I believe.  "Swap" style partitions are generally
assigned to "b".

> disklabel now shows a partition "a" with the size of 16k (32 512-byte
> blocks), "c" as 164058 blocks, and g as "163962". what's g and what's c?
> there should be either one or the other, not both. g has an fstype of
> 4.2BSD, so i tried mounting that first, but no luck (mount /dev/sd2g
> /usr/src) as the kernel panic'ed with a "mode sense returned nonsense"
> error. same with "c" as i tried later.

Don't use "c"!  The "c" partition is the interface to the raw disk.  If
you managed to write to the "c" partition, you could overwrite the
partition map or the driver partition, yielding a totally scrogged drive.
Not a Good Thing ;-)  Use "g", that's your partition.

If you machine is panicing on that, you might consider changing SCSI
drivers, if possible.  Also, try mounting the drive again.  I've had one
of my disks cause a panic before, but it seems to be extremely
intermittant.

> maybe i'll go ahead and make the partition root&usr....it might work...
>   - a

Who knows, it can't hurt to try ;-)

Later.