Subject: Re: SCSI woes (was Re: Old mail (but relevent to SCSI
To: Nicholas Riley <nriley@tiac.net>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/23/1997 00:25:38
At 10:10 AM -0400 8/22/97, Nicholas Riley wrote:
>On 21/8/97 at 3:15 PM -0400, Mark Gallucci wrote:
>
>> FWIW, the 200 MB Rodime (probably the last one left alive) in my IIcx would
>> melt down repeatedly, until I switched to SBC.
>
>I've got a 45 MB Rodime in a case (which is currently functioning only as a
>power strip) sitting underneath my SE/30. It was bought in 1988, and
>stopped working about 3 years ago. However, whenever I try to initialize
>it, it stubbornly claims to be a 135 MB drive...of course that doesn't get
>very far :)

cool!
i had a rodime 45 in my Classic, and then we upgraded to quantum 85MB (and
got the 45Mb disk back too). i tried resurrecting it when i bought a case
and drive for NetBSD.  not very friendly stuff.
i got it spinning, and it was behaving badly in that regard, and when i
did, the drive suddenly exploded and burst into flames while i was surfing
the disk (old stuff from years back before we upgraded). i threw it out the
window. i picked it out of my yard about 3 days later, it had cooled down
by then :-)
good luck with your rodime drive, i hope you don't suffer the same fate as
i :-P
oh, btw, that was my first and most unusual encounter with hardware. i've
had much better luck since then :-)
  - a

 Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu
    ----<insert lame quote here>----