Subject: Re: Old mail (but relevent to SCSI drivers/Jaz/Zip disks?)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/21/1997 14:47:26
>Hmm. Could it either be a weird termination issue, or a weird
>MacOS-related issue? Like some MacOS drivers turn on (or off) something
>in the chip or on the drive, which NetBSD doesn't reset, hosing us
>later?

EVERYTHING about SCSI termination is weird! My advice to anyone who has
SCSI troubles is to get an active terminator. Or two.
I have 7 devices on my external SCSI and 3 on the internal bus, so the
variety of trouble I could theoretically get into is quite large.
Especially as FIVE of the devices are removable storage and one is a
scanner! Active termination has saved me more times than I can remember.

You want weirdness?? Try this - sometimes when I change a device, or device
order on the bus, or change cables, it doesn't work... AT FIRST!  Then,
after it has "got used" to the new arrangement, it starts working!

Dan Killoran

Got a device you would like to have run on the Mac? Call:
                 Daniel-the-Driver-Maker
      Fast service - accurate work - responsive support

         (Offer void wherever taxed or prohibited!)