Subject: Re: Old mail (but relevent to SCSI drivers/Jaz/Zip disks?)
To: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/21/1997 12:48:44
On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 ADAMGOOD@delphi.com wrote:

> As an adjunct to all this, can anyone please explain what the difference
> between the SCSI drivers is exactly (other than the names)?

The ncrscsi and sbc drivers are used with the 5380 controller (and
compatibles, like the 53C80, 53C80A, Apple custom version, etc.).  The
drivers and their front ends were written by different people, which is
the primary difference between them.  It is difficult to explain the
specific differences without an understanding of the underlying hardware.
Anyway, this is the chip used in most Macs.

The esp driver is used with the 53C94 and 53C96 controllers (and
compatibles).  This chip is found in most Quadra and Centris models, and
is also in late-model Performas.

> Also, why
> is SBC named SBC and ESP named ESP?

After the vendor's names for the chips.  The former is Symbios' (formerly
National Semiconductor's) SCSI Bus Controller part, and the latter escapes
me at the moment.  I seem to recall it was called the Emulex SCSI
Processor, or something like that.

--scott