Subject: That IIfx thing... (& Quadra SCSI update)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1997 23:31:03
Since several of you seemed to be interested in my IIfx plight and
showed some curiosity...  The RAM is fine and the RAM sockets are
fine, but the memory was installed wrong.  When I was swapping the
motherboard in, I noticed that there were two types of SIMMs in the
machine and they were as follows: Bank A=t1t1t2t1; Bank B=t2t1t2t2.
So I swapped the two odd ones around so we had all type 1 in A and
all type 2 in B.  Taking type 2 out allowed the machine to boot and
see 4MB.  Putting type 2 back in and making sure that it's in firmly,
the machine still didn't boot.  Taking out all the SIMMs and putting
type 2 in bank A worked--and upon booting I discovered the problem...
The type 2 SIMMs are 4MB...  The II would just see 8MB in the same
situation.

No complaints, but I feel a bit silly bugging y'all about it.  :-)

Quadra SCSI update.  I've discovered that serial I/O and disk
transfers with my new driver and the old Fujitsu drive that I
have do not mix.  I think I will be banging some more on this
driver before getting it checked in.  My HP drive seems fine w/
serial activity.  I think the HP has a bigger on-disk cache...

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com