Subject: Success!
To: Port Mac 68K <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1997 02:03:24
I've finally managed to configure and compile a kernel successfully. As it
turns out, part of the problem I was having involved an ill-considered move
I made the other day. I was running a non-SBC kernel for a bit, to see if
it would let me boot without seeing:

probe(sbc0:0:1): command aborted, data = 00 00 00 00 25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

with the first digit in the line climbing from 1 to 7 slowly, along with
(later):

probe(sbc0:2:1): not ready, data = 02 67 00 00 04

in similar fashion. I in truth don't care about these errors, as they don't
seem to impact me at all. My disks don't grow any corruption, so I'm happy.
However, in running the non-SBC kernel, I generated lots of disk errors of
various sorts, most of which I only saw later, upon fscking. I moved back
to the GENERICSBC-36 kernel, and my kernel compile ran flawlessly. And NOW,
I'm running a custom kernel, which makes me grin foolishly.

My next task: Figuring out how to make sendmail cooperate with Taylor UUCP
1.0.6.1. I'm going to start by reading the docs. (Well, okay, since my
first attempt failed, I'm going to check out the docs *now*, as I ought to
have done in the first place.)

Later...

[Want list: 68LC040 support for my Q610, LocalTalk support, disklabel
support, serial DMA somehow]

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
      PGPKeyID: 0x25B3D5B5   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();