Subject: RE: Ok, I give up...
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/19/1997 19:37:20
>a Zip from one of my IIx's.  This boots fine on the IIci!  Hooray!  The ncr
>scsi driver sees it as 96 cyl, 64 heads, 32 sectors.  I can't tell you what
>mkfs sees a Zip as (don't have anymore disks) but I'm using NetBSD 1.2
>and the mkfs is 1.4.

I can answer this one - Mkfs doesn't "see" the Zip disk geometry since
the disk fails to return the information when Mkfs asks for it.  Since
about Mkfs 1.4 you'll get a warning message and Mkfs will fake up some
disk geometry that should work for any SCSI disk. The parameters it uses
were provided by Bill Studenmund and I think his rationalization for them
is part of the FAQ.

-bob

BTW, Mkfs is now up to version 1.45. This version has the old off-by-one
error fixed (I was the one off-by-one), and it fixed a problem dealing
with some 3rd party disk formatters.