Subject: Re: ... X:(
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Mark Gallucci <Mark.Gallucci@gw.pps.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/19/1997 12:21:00
--- on 8/18/97 8:26 PM , Colin Wood . wrote:

>> typed startx. Screen goes white, then says 'waiting for X server to shut
>> down', and I'm back at the prompt.
>
>A great help in debugging this would be to do a:
>
>'startx >& startx.errors'
>
>and show us the contents of the errors file.  Usually, something will be
>output which shows the problem, but it flashes by too fast for you to see

I'll give this a try tonight...

>> rebooted and tried again. This time it took out the kernel with an
>> address error. I was able to continue from the debugger, it dumped and
>> rebooted politely.
>
>This sounds vaguely like you might have filesystem damage.  Make sure you
>do an fsck.  Also, consider reinstalling the X binaries, although this
>might not be necessary.

Remarkably, despite several crashes, fsck -f shows it clean...
Reinstalling was my next best guess.

>possibility that you don't have /dev/grf1 created.  Do you?  Is this
>running merely on SE/30 internal video, or do you have an external monitor
>attached as well?

I'll check my devices. This is just internal video (what i hope to do is get a
NIC in this machine and run a color X server from PowerMac). Configuration is:

SE/30 8MB, Quantum F1080S (FWB 1.8) 240 root&usr, 20 swap (Mkfs 1.45)
MacOS 7.5.5, Booter 1.10.0
current-970710 from ftp.netbsd.org, GENERICSBC-36
xbase12 and xcomp12, Xmacbsd-960127 server

Incidentally, at startup, I get
ite not configured at grf0

significant?

--- on 8/18/97 8:35 PM , David A. Gatwood . wrote:

>Does that machine have an FPU?  If not, are you using the floating point
>emulator clean math libs?  I doubt that's the problem, but it's possible.

Yes, a 68882 (the first Mac to ever have one :) As I write this, I recall
someone else w/ SE/30 needing to set the internal video from B&W "Grays" to B&W
"Colors" (!) I'll give this a shot as well.

thanks,

|   mark gallucci              |     PrePRESS Main Street(tm)  |
|   gallucci@bellatlantic.net  |  The Web Site for Electronic  |
|                              |       Prepress Professionals  |
|   senior support analyst     |                               |
|   PrePRESS Solutions, Inc    |                               |
|   msg@prepress.pps.com       |  http://www.prepress.pps.com  |