Subject: Re: Old mail (but relevent to SCSI drivers/Jaz/Zip disks?)
To: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1997 23:16:19
tcjam wrote:

> > > Try zapping PRAM.  That fixes hangs there for some people.  Not sure why.
> >
> > Hmmm...this too, although I hear that continually doing this is _really_
> > bad for the system (I know of at least one system which now has a bad
> > motherboard b/c the user zapped PRAM pretty much every time he booted).
> >
> NO WAY! How does wiping out memory kill a motherboard?

Oops, my bad, it wasn't the motherboard, but the Daystar PowerPro
accelerator attached to it.  Now I remember ;-)  Basically, the constant
resetting of the PRAM was toggling the accelerator on and off in a way it
wasn't designed to handle, so it eventually burned out.  Sorry for the
confusion

> And about keeping stuff handy for when the fs gets trashed I think I
> reinstalled from scratch about 40 times before I found a kernel that works
> and yes I started making my own distribution just for the purpose :0

Yeah....I suppose that SCSI driver really needs to be fixed :-(

Later.