Subject: Re: sh and ftpd and telnetd...
To: xiamin <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@redneck.hick.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1997 22:30:58
Yep, 'course it does xiamin :) I've been doing this for a while...I
wouldn't write about a little prob like that ;)

Now, I think this also goes along with the same thing...I dunno...

But, I downloaded Steve's base. Installed it. Before, I neglected to
mention this, but my users also complained about not being able to FTP in.
They were complaining about miscellaneous 550 PREMISSION DENIED errors. On
my side, I'd get:

Aug 19 01:10:39 otaku ftpd[5179]: show_chdir_messages: can't malloc

That spitted out on my screen whenever they tried logging in. Can't memory
allocate? What's causing *this*? I'm using Steve's base...

Oh, and the user's set shell is in /etc/shells, and I've triple checked
premissions (755) and ownership on all directories in /home...

hehe...I just noticed something quite strange:

otaku# telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

NetBSD/mac68k (otaku.users.netset.com) (ttyp6)

Connection closed by foreign host.

Now what is that?

Oh wow...it does it from an outside domain, too:

[otaku@redneck.hick.com]% telnet otaku.users.netset.com
Trying 206.183.229.229...
Connected to otaku.users.netset.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

NetBSD/mac68k (otaku.users.netset.com) (ttyp6)

Connection closed by foreign host.

What's happening here? Now it just closes the connection, instead of
letting the user log in and then complaining about getcwd() and
premissions :/

Any help would be much appreciated,

Josh