Subject: RE: Ok, I give up...
To: Jim Kreuziger <James.Kreuziger@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: None <wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1997 20:16:41
re: bigtime trouble with the Zip disk.....

Jim,
     Yep, I've been there too!  And, yes, its the Zip and the fact that
the driver in the standard kernel (I tried 1.2 here on a IIci).  Big
problems!  Actually, I tried it on a SE/30, IIx, and IIci.  All were big
failures and a dramatic waste of time!  :)  Scott says to use a SBC
GENERIC kernel #36 or something like that but I don't have the
foggiest idea where the devil to find it and never bothered with it
after wasting so much time already.  Oh, I should say that I did
finally get a working NetBSD 1.2 on the Zip, but sorry to say that
I forget what the magic was....its related to the fact that the mkfs
sees the device differently than the installed system does.  In other
words, mkfs sees a different disk organization (heads, sectors, etc)
than the kernel thinks it is when you finally get around to booting
it.  Thats why the fs is eternally corrupt according to the running
kernel.  I'll try to dig around and find the messages where the
secret that worked for me will be found....if I find it, I'll send it along
to you.  I believe it was using a different number of sectors when
building the fs than mkfs wants to use; you have to override the
settings if I remember right thats what did the trick for me.

Paul