Subject: Re: stability:), shutdown -r :/, and X:(
To: Mark.Gallucci. <mark.gallucci@gw.pps.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1997 17:26:53
Mark.Gallucci. wrote:

[description of general NetBSD/mac68k success snipped for brevity]

> Finally, I installed x, with the correct x server as mentioned in the
> FAQ. Set my path, invoked ldconfig from rc.local, rebooted, held breath,
> typed startx. Screen goes white, then says 'waiting for X server to shut
> down', and I'm back at the prompt.

A great help in debugging this would be to do a:

'startx >& startx.errors'

and show us the contents of the errors file.  Usually, something will be
output which shows the problem, but it flashes by too fast for you to see
it.  Unfortunately, you appear to be the second SE/30 owner having X
troubles, tho....

> Tried again, same thing, except this time followed by an illegal
> instruction error, and everything (X, xinit, sh, csh) dumped core... I
> thought maybe X has nothing to do, so made .xinitrc in ~:
>
> xterm&
> fwm
>
> rebooted and tried again. This time it took out the kernel with an
> address error. I was able to continue from the debugger, it dumped and
> rebooted politely.

This sounds vaguely like you might have filesystem damage.  Make sure you
do an fsck.  Also, consider reinstalling the X binaries, although this
might not be necessary.

> I've tried a few more times, without changing anything; 3 times it just
> went away quietly, 3 times dumped core with seg fault or illegal inst, 2
> times crashed hard, once with VM error, once with MMU error.
>
> Any ideas?

Without seeing what startx spits out, not really...although there is the
possibility that you don't have /dev/grf1 created.  Do you?  Is this
running merely on SE/30 internal video, or do you have an external monitor
attached as well?

Later.