Subject: Re: new drive.
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1997 18:35:55
On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Armen Babikyan wrote:

> anyway, i figured i'd initialize the drive and everything and ran across no
> problems. i was told to partition after formatting. i had the options of
> A/UX 2.0 root, user1, user2, and user3. i figured since this was not going
> to be the root partition, and there were no other NetBSD mounted disks, i'd
> partitions using user1.
> I did that. and then anubis told me that i should use A/UX to format the
> partition.
> well, how exactly do i do that?

mkfs on the MacOS side or newfs on the NetBSD side, AFAIK.  "Formatting"
the partition is probably a bad choice of terminology.  It should be
telling you to use A/UX to create a valid filesystem on the partition.

> i want to mount this drive as /users, since it's getting exceissively
> large. i realize that i may temporarily want to change /users to /users2 or
> soemthing then mv /users2/* /users/ .

No prob.  Do this, replacing xx with the appropriate number and letter for
the device you're mounting:

mv users users2            # rename /users to /users2
mkdir /users               # create mount point (directory) /users
mount /dev/sdxx /users     # mount /dev/sdxx on the mount point /users
mv /users2/* /users        # move the contents of /users2 to /users
rmdir users2               # remove the now-empty /users2 directory

> how do i format this partition?

see above.  If you're using newfs, try:

newfs -O /dev/sdxx

(I _think_ that should be right.)  The -O specifies the old-style
filesystem so that it will be readable by the installer (which currently
doesn't support level 2 filesystems).  Correct me if I'm wrong about the
-O....

Hope that helps,
David