Subject: Ok, I give up...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jim Kreuziger <James.Kreuziger@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/18/1997 11:35:25
I've been trying to install NetBSD 1.2.1 GENERIC on my Mac
for a few days with mixed results.  So I thought maybe somebody
could enlighten me if they have had similar problems.

Ok, I'm running a IIsi with 33meg of memory, no ethernet, 80meg
internal, AND an external ZIP drive.  Since my wife also uses this
computer for some work related stuff, installation on the internal
hard drive is out of the question.  And since ZIP disks are fairly
inexpensive, I decided to give it a try.

So I found the instructions on how to install on a ZIP disk (thanks
should go to Nico and Colin for clear, easy to follow directions) and
proceded.  The formatting and making of the NetBSD file system was
really easy.  Installation was also easy, but time consuming.  But
booting the system has been a chore.  I can boot into single user mode
quite easily, but getting into multi user mode has been difficult.

First off, once in single user mode, I tried mounting the filesystem
using both mount -a and mount -u /.  Oops, it tells me the filesystem
is not clean, run fsck_ffs manually.  Ok, so I run it, and get all sorts
of errors (sorry, I left errors at home).  So I fix them all and mark
the filesystem clean.  I then try to mount the fs again, and it again
tells me the fs is not clean.  Again I run fsck manually, and I get
more errors.  Fix the errors, and the fs finally mounts.

Now here's where the fun begins.  I've tried to 1)Boot into multi-user
mode directly, and 2)Reboot using the reboot -n command, then start the
booter from the MacOS.

In the first case, it usually gets into multi-user
mode.  But that also leaves me with at least one utility (ls, man, vi, cd,
etc.) dumping core.  This leads me to believe that the fs is still
corrupt.  If I shutdown and go into single user mode again, the fs
is clean sometimes, and other times not.  So start all over with the
fsck thing...

In the second case (reboot -n after fixing the fs), starting into
multi-user mode usually fails, 'cause the fsck_ffs -p command says
the file system isn't clean! Argh!!!  Fix the fs, mount the fs, and
go into multi-user mode where something usually goes wrong.  The only
time that it went directly into multi-user mode without failing the
fsck, it got caught up in an endless login loop.

My gut feeling is that somthing is wrong on the ZIP disk or in the
ZIP drive, but I'm not sure.  I've read so many different things
that I don't really know which way is up.  Anyway, if anybody out
there has any ideas other than "get a new hard drive" I'd be
glad to hear them.

-Jim

The views expressed are mine, and do not represent those
of JPL or any agents of JPL.
Jim Kreuziger                        Politics: From the latin poly,
Jet Propulsion Laboratory            meaning many, and tics,
phone:  (626) 306-6605 work          meaning bloodsucking parasites.
e-mail: jimk@dareangel.jpl.nasa.gov