Subject: Re: Yes, I'm an idiot
To: John Albers Mead <jam@matchlogic.com>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/16/1997 13:27:02
At 10:33 AM -0600 8/15/97, John Albers Mead wrote:
>Late last night, I got NetBSD installed on a IIci.  In my enthusiasm, I
>began installing apps (apache, perl, etc...) and tcsh.  I tried to change
>the root shell to tcsh before I realized that I should probably set up
>passwords and a non-root account for myself (it was late as I said).  Guess
>what?  tcsh didn't install properly and now when I try to login as root is
>says the application tcsh doesn't exist and takes me back to the login
>prompt.
>
>I have tried booting into single user mode but the system comes up in read
>only and I can't vipw or cp the password file.  I also tried doing cpout
>from the mini-shell on the installer but the passwd file comes out and
>SimpleText won't open so I can manually change the shell back to something
>that works.
>
>Any ideas would REALLY be appreciated.  I will also be accepting public
>humilitation (time and place to be announced).

if none of the other ideas work, or you're not really unix-savvy, you can
always use the macos installer utility to cpout /etc/passwd and
/etc/master.passwd, change the shell with your favorite MacOS text editor,
and cpin the files back. i think this should work. if not, you can always
cpin the default /etc/passwd files. maybe someone can get them for you.
<shrug>
good luck,
  - a

----- Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu - http://electron.xeo.net ------