Subject: Re: xntpd confusionHi,
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/16/1997 20:25:06
Hi,

I had the same problem trying to get xntpd to work. I ran it for nearly a
week and when the clock on my C650 was 6 hours behind, I couldn't take it
anymore.  So now I am using the ntpdate from cron method, because I just
didn't have time to mess with xntpd. If anyone has an easy solution, I
would be happy to try it.

Mark

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, xiamin wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, David Bushong wrote:
> > OK, I was setting up xntpd the other night (i.e. running it) and have had
> > it running the past few days..  I put the following in /etc/ntp.conf:
> >
> > server ntp1.berkeley.edu
> > driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
> >
> > And ran xntpd as root.  While xntpd will print messages to the log about
> > it detecting my slip connection going up and down, and while if I kill
> > xntpd and use ntpdate it will set the time correctly, xntpd by itself
> > seems to do _nothing_.  Over the past couple of days it doesn't seem to
> > have set my clock at all (since on a comparison of an ntpdate -q to my
> > timeserver and a date on my local machine I'm now about 1.5 mins off.. my
> > clock drifts quite a bit)
> >
> > Any suggestions?  I was just running xntpd as "xntpd" with no flags..
> I'm doing the same thing, and my clock is about 2.5 hours off right now.
> I run a rc5 cracking program as part of a distrubied computer efort, I
> can't find the url right now, and it loads the cpu enough to really
> retard the clock. I suppose a somewhat budget solution would be to put
> ntpdate into root's crontab, but this doesn't seem to be the best way to
> do it. I too would appreciate some help with this one.
> Xiamin

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/