Subject: adb problem
To: Port Mac 68K <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/15/1997 16:26:53
Hi there.

My setup:

 SE/30, July 10th -current, GENERIC-36 kernel

The problem:

 I briefly tried using the GENERIC-35 kernel, and I had a lot of trouble
with the adb routines. Here's a successful output from GENERIC-36:

adb: using II series hardware support
adb: cleanup: nothing returned
adb: ADBReInit complete
adb: keyboard at 2
adb: 100 dpi mouse at 3

When I was using GENERIC-35 (SBC, but that's irrelevant, I think) I'd get
as far as the "adb: cleanup: nothing returned" line and the machine would
hang. Alternately, sometimes it wouldn't hang, but the keyboard wouldn't
talk to the rest of the system. The adb port into which the keyboard was
plugged didn't really seem to matter.

I've read some of the send-pr docs, and I've submitted a request for a
number, but I haven't received it just yet (it may be waiting for me to
poll - I don't know) and I wanted folks to know about this. Incidentally,
when I queried the problem database, the only thing that came up was a
report (on an alpha?) about the system freezing when the mouse was moved
during an adb poll. The mouse isn't moving in this case, FWIW.

It seems like there must be a bug in the adb manager code... I read in the
readme file that lives with the recent kernels:

>           #     Source date
>         ====    ===========
>          30     30 Apr 1997 [1]
>          32     01 Jun 1997
>          33     30 Jun 1997 [2]
>          34     10 Jul 1997 [2]
>          35     23 Jul 1997 [1][2]
>          36     23 Jul 1997 [2]
>
> [1] These kernels are compiled using the new ADB hardware driver from
>     John P. Wittkoski, including support written by Takashi Hamada for
>     many PowerBooks.

I had previously been using GENERIC-32 without problems, IIRC, and the
problems only started when I slapped in GENERIC-35. Now that I'm using
GENERIC-36, the problem doesn't seem to exist. This would seem to indicate
a problem somewhere with John's code.

If one hasn't been submitted by the time I get my send-pr ID, I'll send in
a formal PR, but for now I figured it was worthwhile just to get the
information out there somehow.

Later...

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
      PGPKeyID: 0x25B3D5B5   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();