Subject: Re: Yes, I'm an idiot
To: John Albers Mead <jam@matchlogic.com>
From: Scott Smith <smelly@spy.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/15/1997 13:34:03
On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, John Albers Mead wrote:

> Late last night, I got NetBSD installed on a IIci.  In my enthusiasm, I
> began installing apps (apache, perl, etc...) and tcsh.  I tried to change
> the root shell to tcsh before I realized that I should probably set up

	Um, *never* *ever* set root's shell to anything but /bin/sh.
For one, most shells don't get linked statically to whatever shared libraries
they use.  Two: sh is a tried and true shell, and is generally more stable and
reliable than any other shell.  If you want to use tcsh then when you su to
root, do `exec /usr/local/bin/tcsh'.

> passwords and a non-root account for myself (it was late as I said).  Guess
> what?  tcsh didn't install properly and now when I try to login as root is
> says the application tcsh doesn't exist and takes me back to the login
> prompt.
>
> I have tried booting into single user mode but the system comes up in read
> only and I can't vipw or cp the password file.  I also tried doing cpout

	Did you try booting to single user, fsck'ing, and `mount -av' ?

--
Scott Smith -                           |
Taos Mountain TS, all around UNIX geek  | Windows NT(tm) -- The real

M-@ !V-- PS()@? !PE !Y+ PGP+@ !t- !5 X@ !R- tv-@ b@> DI+>+$ !D--- G>$ !e