Subject: Re: Lesstiff needs X11R5 or greater-What's on port-mac68k?
To: None <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/14/1997 13:13:21
brian wildasinn wrote:

> Hi!
> Does the port-mac68k's xwindows run X11R5 or greater?

I'm fairly sure that all versions of the NetBSD/mac68k X server (both
Scott's Xmac68k and Ken's Xmacbsd) are X11R6.1 servers.

> I looked in ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.2/mac68k/X11/
> which says these are xbase, xcomp, xserver binaries of X11 but
> when i untar them and look into the include directory here's what's
> there:
>
> X10.h
> /*
>  *	X10.h - Header definition and support file for the C subroutine
>  *	interface library for V10 support routines.
>  */

This header is there purely to provide compatibility with (much) older X10
server code.  X10 hasn't been used in quite a while (in fact, the Alice
group was probably still in junior high, maybe highschool, when X10 was
being used).

> The reason i need X11R5 or greater is that Lesstif-.79 or -0.80 looks in
> this directory to see what version of X i have, and the Lesstif
> configure file says that the above mentioned  mac68k/X11/... is not
> X11R5 or greater. I posted a note to lesstif@hungry.com and the people
> there say that X11R5 or higher should have an X11.h file, which the
> above mention xcomp does not seem to provide.

It may be that it's looking in the wrong spot.  I'm not on my home machine
at the moment, so I can't look, tho.

> Some previous discussions on this port-mac68k list seem to say that
> there is a X11R6.1 Xmac68k or somesuch server. X-Windows from Colin
> Wood's faq works on this machine and it's include file is also a X10.h.
>
> How can i verify what version of X i have running?

I'm not entirely sure how to do this, although I think that most window
managers have an "info" menu option which will show this information.

> Does X-windows compile "out of the box" for X11R6.1 and if so could
> those found at ftp.x.org do the job on the mac port of netbsd?

No, it doesn't.  There are quite a few changes necessary to make it work,
like supporting mac68k adb and grf devices.  No patches for the X
Consortium's sources are available either.  However, there is some effort
underway to get a NetBSD Xserver made (i.e. one set of sources that will
build on all NetBSD platforms).  Once this is done, making changes should
be easy.

I hope this helps clear a few things up.

Later.