Subject: Re: newfs
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/1997 15:15:22

> Here's a question for those folks who know about the differences in the
> various fs levels....  Why is conversion only possible in one direction?
> (I believe y'all said tunefs could raise the level, just not lower it.)
> Just curious.

I think mainly as there are bits of info which can't be represented
in a level 1 ffs. Level 2 raised the UID and GID values to 32 bit.
They won't fit in old-style ffs's. Plus a lot of stuff (like all the
white-outs) would have to get thrown away.

Someone probably could write a program to revert, but it doesn't
really seem worth it. It'd seem easier to just make a new level 1 ffs
and copy.

Take care,

Bill