Subject: Re: Annoying panics...
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/1997 15:35:26
On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 13:33:09 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
> To: "The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood]" <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
> Cc: cwood@ichips.intel.com, ADAMGOOD@delphi.com, port-mac68k@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Annoying panics...
>
> The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] wrote:

> > > Kinda strange....did you run 'fsck' and then look, or did you just go and
> > > 'newfs' it?
> >
> > <snip>

> > > Hmmm....bad inode or no such inode?  I get some kind of "no such file"
> > > type error all the time in the Installer, but it doesn't crash...I'd
> > > recommend using hfs anyway, though.  It's _alot_ faster than the
> > > Installer.
> >
> > I get this too, but only on the partition that I newfs'ed from the NetBSD
> > side.  I think NetBSD's newfs must default to the newer level 2 (I think
> > that's the right number) filesystems, which the installer doesn't support
> > at this time.  (Perhaps the default should be changed until such time as
> > it does?)  If you use newfs, try specifying the filesystem revision level
> > on the command line (man newfs for details).  Of course that's only
> > speculation, there could easily be other reasons, that just seems the most
> > likely guess.
>
> Ah, yes!  I had forgotten about that.  The level 2 ffs created by newfs is
> incompatible with the installer...something else to go into the FAQ if
> it's not already there ;-)  As for changing the default, since newfs is
> pretty much architecture independent, I'm not too sure they other ports
> would like us messing with their newfs ;-)

I assume mac68k distributes some of the /etc files separately, right?  How
about something like "alias newfs 'newfs -whatever'" (forgive the lousy
syntax) in root's profile or something?  Or another possibility, tweak the
newfs code so the default is changable with a makefile option, then change
the option for mac68k compiles....

Thoughts?
David

|David A. Gatwood                    "My Head or my Heart...  that is   |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu               the question. To be or not to be   |
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                   is but a trifle."         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |