Subject: Re: ppp FAQ suggestions
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/1997 13:10:16
> Paul Goyette wrote:
>
> >Well, I guess my point is that this stuff shouldn't be (or at least,
> >doesn't need to be) port-mac68k specific.  I know I've gotten lots of
> >e-mail from people all over using at least three different ports, all
> >asking about how to get pppd set up.
> >
> You're right, it shouldn't be mac specific. Like you said, Mac users
> aren't the only ones having difficulty with ppp and serial ports.

True. I was actually thinking about having a md-specific part at the
front of the script which would say "For your achitecture, the standard
serial ports are tty00 & tty01 or whatever. tty00 is XXX (modem for
mac68k. tty01 is YYY..." Since MACHTYPE is an environment var, we can
do this easily.

> >Perhaps the new FAQ can have a port-specific translation table, so that
> >each port's users can look up the serial port by names that they're
> >familiar with and find the "proper" NetBSD equivalent?  :)
>
> I like this idea, especially if we can get it into all the ports of
> NetBSD. Would it be possible to just have the Installer build a symbolic
> link of the serial port name to the "proper" NetBSD equivalent?  Maybe
> this could also be included in the port-specific /etc tarball?  Isn't
> this how the mouse is connected to the proper device in NetBSD/i386?

I think other ports don't really need it, though a /dev/modem and
/dev/printer would be fine for us.

Take care,

Bill