Subject: Re: Problem booting NetBSD on a Quadra 610
To: Ed <ed@avalon.aye.net>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/1997 12:05:20
On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Ed wrote:

.. Help! (yes, I know you all have heard that one before) ;).
..
.. I've got a Quadra 610 (68040 processor), with 36M Ram, 1080MB Quantum HD,
.. NEC 4x CD-ROM, using FWB 2.0 drivers for both the HD and CD-ROM and on
.. this hardware, I'm running Mac OS 8.  I recently downloaded version 1.2.1
.. of NetBSD in an experiment in getting the system up and running with a

Actually version 1.2.1 of NetBSD is "just" a patched-up version of 1.2,
and it is quite old (in the time scale of NetBSD/mac68k).

I'd suggest that you go to
             ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/latest
and download the latest snapshot and kernel.

This will get you a working snapshot of the development (-current)
version of NetBSD/mac68k, which will become version 1.3 in due time.

Your problem is that none of the 68040 machines are supported in the
1.2(.1) release.

Also note that your Quadra 610 must equipped with a full 68040 CPU,
those that only have an 68LC040 CPU cannot (yet) run NetBSD.

regards
Erik Bertelsen