Subject: Networking...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christian Taylor <ctaylor@fox.nstn.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/09/1997 15:58:22
Hi everyone,

I have NetBSD 1.2.1 up and running on my IIcx.  I'm setting up networking
with ethernet for the first time (used PPP before), and I'm having some
trouble.  I set up an /etc/hostname.ae0 file, and entered the right info.
The subnet mask and broadcast address were copied exactly from my PowerMac
6100/66 running MkLinux.  The IP of that machine is 17.1.1.1 (that's how it
came setup, and since I'm only using a local network, I didn't bother to
change it), the netmask is 255.255.255.0 and broadcast address is 17.1.1.0.

When I boot up, and it starts networking, it will freeze shortly
afterwards.  I removed the hostname.ae0 file and tried to enable ae0
manually using ifconfig.  This seemed to work, until I tired to ping my
6100.  It immediately froze.  It seems that whenever I try to send anything
over the network, the system freezes.  It won't respond to the keyboard at
all, and I have to hit the reset switch.  If I hit the interrupt button, it
will drop into the debugger, but I don't know what I can do there that will
help (any ideas?).

I'm using a what seems like a pretty standard ethernet card.  NetBSD
identifies it as a MacCon, and a sticker on the card itself says
Asante-MC3NB.  I wish I knew more about it, but it came with the machine,
with no specs.

The machine itself is a IIcx, 8 MB ram, 100 MB hard drive (16 MB swap, 80
root/usr and whatever's left for MacOS).  I'm using a completely standard
install of NetBSD 1.2.1.

I'd really appreciate any help I can get on this.  Thanks!

 -=Christian=-

--
|  Christian Taylor   |    personal email:    ctaylor@fox.nstn.ca      |