Subject: X and passwd troubles
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Corbett <corbett@mtn.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/09/1997 21:55:09
Hello.

I'm running GENERIC 1.2 on a IIsi + an FPU. I'm have trouble with a
couple of things. First, when I type startx (after adjusting paths) I
get:

MacIIsi# startx  <--I type it in here

Waiting for X server to begin accepting connections
Fatal server error
Failed to establish all listening sockets

giving up
xinit: connection refused (errno 61): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

What am I or my machine doing wrong? What do I do? Does it have anything
to do with the fact that I'm using internal video?

On to my second problem:

If I'm supposed to su to root, not login, I need my own user. That means
editing /etc/passwd. When I use vipw and add an entry, I get this:

/etc/ptmp: 11 lines, 608 chars
pwd_mkdb: corupted entry
pwd_mkdb: at line 11
pwd_mkdb /etc/ptmp: Innapropriate file type or format

So what's wrong this time?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Corbett
corbett@mtn.org