Subject: Re: ppp FAQ suggestions
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/09/1997 14:29:48
Hi,

Another to t watch out for with PC users is that if you say "printer port"
on a PC that is a parallel port, NOT a serial port! Ypu will have PC users
who are NetBSD newbies trying to run PPP through the parallel port.

Mark

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Bob Nestor wrote:

> Paul Goyette wrote:
>
> >Well, I guess my point is that this stuff shouldn't be (or at least,
> >doesn't need to be) port-mac68k specific.  I know I've gotten lots of
> >e-mail from people all over using at least three different ports, all
> >asking about how to get pppd set up.
> >
> You're right, it shouldn't be mac specific. Like you said, Mac users
> aren't the only ones having difficulty with ppp and serial ports.
>
> >Calling things "printer" and "modem" means as much to an Intel-80x86 user
> >as "com0" and "com1" does to a Mac user.
> >
> Yeah, I still can't figure out the com0/com1 thing on my PeeCee.  It took
> me forever to figure out where the internal modem was. The only way I
> could do it was by reading the manual and sending an "atz" to the port to
> see if it'd respond.  The Mac's ICONs on the ports sure are a nice
> feature.

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/