Subject: Re: Failure to boot
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/08/1997 16:07:13
> > > At this point, try typing 'trace' and tell us what functions the stack
> > > trace shows.
> >
> > Well, it lists debugger, panic, jmp0panic, ttychars, ttyinput,
> > ttypend, ttyinput, ite_intr, adb_handoff, adb_dokeyupdown,
> > adb_keymaybemouse, adb_processevent, adb_complet, adb_asmcomplete,
> > via1_inter, lev1inter, mi_switch, tsleep, sys_sigsuspend, syscall, trap
> >
> > If you want me to throw the numbers following them at you, I can, but
> > it'll take me some time to scribble them all down.  I will mention that
> > both jmp0panic and lev1inter are followed by (?).  I have, of course,
> > left off the _ before each process.

The (?) are appropriate as those routines aren't called with parameters.
If there are + <some # in hex> values, they might help too. But the
exact numbers within the ()'s won't mean much.

> > 	Do you think that reinstalling would be wise?  It isn't something
> > I really want to do if I can avoid it.
>
> You have built devices, right?  If not, this could cause a bit of a
> problem...

As an aside, recent kernels check to see if /dev/console's around, and
print a warning if it's not. That warning's a red flag for having
no devices. Maybe we sould mention it in the FAQ?

> I don't think that you need to reinstall, though.  At least not the whole
> system.  Try a different kernel and see what happens.

I agree. You might have to re-install devices, or base. But try another
kernel first.

Take care,

Bill