Subject: Re: ppp FAQ suggestions
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/08/1997 16:53:04
Well, I guess my point is that this stuff shouldn't be (or at least,
doesn't need to be) port-mac68k specific.  I know I've gotten lots of
e-mail from people all over using at least three different ports, all
asking about how to get pppd set up.

Calling things "printer" and "modem" means as much to an Intel-80x86 user
as "com0" and "com1" does to a Mac user.

Perhaps the new FAQ can have a port-specific translation table, so that
each port's users can look up the serial port by names that they're
familiar with and find the "proper" NetBSD equivalent?  :)

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Bob Nestor wrote:

> >> Well, _I_ don't like calling these things the "printer" port or the
> >> "modem" port.  Why can't we be consistent and call them tty00 and tty01?
> >> And then we could rather easily pass an optional parameter to a generic
> >> script to select the port to use.
> >
> >Well, the idea behind "modem" and "print" was twofold. 1) use names which
> >newbies know about.
>
> Yeah!  Even I can understand the funny little ICONs attached to the modem
> and printer ports, but what's a "tty00" or "tty01" ICON look like?
>
> -bob

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |