Subject: Failure to boot
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Edward Seth Miller <esmiller@engin.umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/08/1997 17:54:26
Hello again...It's me, the guy with the uncooperative IIci.  (That's a
IIci with a 4*8 Display Card, an unsupported :( Cabletron card, 8M
memory, 80M HD.)
Well, when I booted the kernel from a MacOS partition, it got up to where
it needed the root, and then died.  The problem is, it does the same
thing after I've made an A/UX Root partition, mkfs-ed it, and run
installer with all of the "NEEDed" and most of the other files.  The
last few lines on the screen are:

	Changing root device to sd0a
	PRAM: 0x33eb4857, macos_boottime: 0x33eb4848

and it sits there.  Sometimes it says instead:

        Changing root device to sd0a
	sd0: mode sense (4) returned nonsense; using fictitious geometry
        PRAM: [various chars], macos_boottime: [similar chars]

If I hit return, it says:

	Panic: kernel jump to zero
	Stopped at      _debugger+0x6:  unlk      a6
	db>

And, if I say continue (on a whim), it says:

	Syncing disks... done
	NetBSD/mac68k does not trust itself to update the RTC on shutdown.

	Dumping to dev401, offset 8
	dump 67 66 65 64  area improper

And it reboots.

Anybody have any ideas?  I'm going to proceed to try to re-download all
of the necessary distribution files, and reinstall them, but I'm not
really sure that's the problem.  If somebody has a clue, I'd appreciate
the help.  Thanx!

	-Seth Miller