Subject: Re: IIci Booter problem
To: Edward Seth Miller <esmiller@engin.umich.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1997 14:49:02
Edward Seth Miller wrote:

> I am attempting to set up a IIci, and so (logically enough) I decided to
> try NetBSD out under MacOS before committing to the whole installation.
> I pulled down booter 1.9.5 and unBinHexed and unStuffed it, and I grabbed
> kernel 1.2.1, which I ungzipped and untarred.  I put them both into a
> folder, and attempted to boot.  I've tried it with monitor in 1, 2, 4,
> and 8-bit modes, both Mac Display Card 4*8 and IIci internal video, and
> with cache and ethernet card in and out.  I always get the same thing.
> The computer makes it up to:
>
> 	Set _mac68k_vrsrc_vec to {0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 }.
>
> And (since I told it to ask before booting, so that I could see where the
> problem was and review my env dumps) it proceeds to ask if I want to
> continue the boot.  I say yes, and it locks up about 1 or 2 seconds
> later.  Nothing else comes onto the screen, and I have extra debugging
> on, debugging set to level 10...
> 	Anybody have any ideas?  I think I saw this before when I tried
> to make a Performa 640 work (I gave up on THAT quick), and I think I got
> it past there, but I don't remember how.
> 	By the way, I have 8M of RAM, with MacOS 7.1 installed.  I don't
> know if that is of any importance.

Hmmmm...how did you ungzip the kernel?  If you did it on the Mac side,
the kernel may have become corrupted (I think that the enhanced Stuffit
Expander does a cr->lf translation).  Other than that, have you looked at
the faq and tried the list of things to try when your mac doesn't boot?
BTW, the FAQ is available at:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/faq.html (or any of its mirror
sites throughout the world)