Subject: Re: stability?
To: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@fls.portland.or.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1997 14:34:32
On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jul 1997 14:49:32 -0400
> Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
> reported (on aimed-talk@aimed.org ) having recieved from Chip Merchant 64
> Meg of memory for his 8500 that he reports have fried his mother board. I
> don't know whether parity chips are available in the type of memory used in
> the 8500, but can you think of any OTHER way a memory set could fry a
> board? I don't think it is possible to install them backwards.I can send
> you a copy of his complete report if you like.

I think the installation has a better chance of frying the board than the
chip itself, but we'd get into an unlikely vs impossible debate. I will
fish for the message if you don't send it to me, but I'm fairly sure it
has nothing to do with parity. Parity will not hurt the SE/30, for
example, and I just put weird parity chips (out of a SPARCclassic) into my
Centris 650.

Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd@fls.portland.or.us - Fuji Landscape Service
BSEE (6/86) + BSChem (3/95) + BAEnglish (8/95) + $3.00 = mocha latte