Subject: Re: stability?
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1997 05:19:11
>>Michael R Zucca wrote:
>> On a side note, do any IIci/IIsi owners out there tend to get more
>> problems with time critical code than other people? The reason I ask is
>> that when the video DAC has grab memory from the CPU to draw the screen
>> the CPU is blocked from using that entire bank of RAM. If NetBSD is in that
>> bank and, say, an interrupt occurs then the CPU has to wait to fetch the
>> code for the interrupt handler (unless it's cached) while the DAC is cycle
>> stealing. Just wondering.
>
>I use a NuBus video card, so this doesn't really effect me.  This could be
>a legitimate problem, tho, I guess.  As a IIci user, if there is anything
>I could do that would really help. please let me know.

This would be hard to guage since the mac clocks are screwed up by interupt
priority level being different than unix expects.  I know that my clocks
used to run slow, but I never really pay attention, and I don't have any
reason to attribute the slow down to interrupt code fetch being delayed.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@eng.umd.edu
My home page