Subject: Re: PAP in ppp, help!
To: None <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1997 23:27:36
brian wildasinn wrote:

> does anyone know of a good faq or guide for PAP? I've got a school
> account which requires this with ppp. my story is like alot of other
> port-mac68k users who say that their modem dials, but drops them--some
> say due to a messed up ppp-chat file.

I hate to say this, but the manual pages for pppd do a somewhat decent job
of describing how to use PAP (it's towards the bottom).  I've found that a
_really_ helpful way to debug ppp problems is to turn on debugging in both
pppd and chat (this requires editing /etc/syslog.conf a little).  Then you
can see exactly what's going on between your machine and the remote
machine.

> anyway, i've got a Q700 and the scripts ppp.setup.tgz are installed, but
> to no avail. could netbsd require additional setup required for
> networking in order for ppp to work? or...

I don't think that NetBSD requires any additional setup in order for PPP
to work, but there are quite a few things that need to be configured in
order for networking to be useful (e.g. /etc/resolve.conf).  You do need
to be sure that you correctly modify the ppp-kit files to suit your
environment, tho.

> hasn't anyone just made an X application that prompts dummies like me
> for each file which must be configured? That would be great if someone
> knows where one is, or am i dreaming?

Sorry, this is not Solaris and the CDE ;-)  For me, I find that half the
fun of using NetBSD is figuring out what I have to do to make it work.  Of
course, that's just me, I don't know about anyone else.

If you want a really goo resource about system administration in general,
check out the System Administration Handbook by Nemeth, Garth, Seebass,
and Snyder (2nd ed.).  It is quite good at explaning a lot of the setup
tasks in running a BSD-based system.

If you merely want to know more about NetBSD networking setup, there is a
wonderful Networking FAQ by Wolfgang Solfrank? that's out on the 'Net.  If
you do a search for "NetBSD Networking FAQ", I think you'll find it pretty
quickly.

I hope this helps some.

Later.