Subject: creating A/UX partitions with mkfs
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Price <pricej@CEBAF.GOV>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1997 17:24:57
I've been away for a while, and I am trying to put netbsd back onto my
IIsi. I used to use APS Power Tools 2.7.3 to create the partitions.  In
addition to several other changes in my system, I now have APT 4.0.9.
This program is not as flexible as the older version, but I don't know
enough to know whether I can partition the disk with 2.7.3 and then
replace the drivers with those from 4.0.9.

>From the FAQ, it seems the best way to go is to create multiple MacOS
partitions, and then use Mkfs 1.44 to change two of them into the
Root&Usr and the Swap partitions.  However, I can't get it to work.
According to Mkfs, my disk looks like the following:

     HFS -> MacOS
     Partition_Map -> Apple
     HFS -> APS Drive (1)
     HFS -> APS Drive (2)
     HFS -> APS Drive (3)
     UNIX_SVR2 -> Unreserved 1

When I partitioned this disk (700 Mb APS drive), I created a MacOS
partition of 200 Mb, which I intend to use with the MacOS.  I then
created a MacOS partition of 464 Mb, which will be the Root&Usr
partition, a 34 Mb MacOS partition for the Swap, and then a 1 Mb
partition to try and get around the "off-by-one" problem I've read so
much about recently.  The latter three show up as "APS Drive (n)" in the
list above.  I didn't have anything to do with the apparent placement of
the partition map in the middle of the drive; the software did that all
by itself.

When I look at the partition with the APS software, it looks as follows:

     Partition   Name             Size     Name
     ---------   ----             ----     ----
         0       Partition map
         1       SCSI driver
         2       MacOS (Start)     200     MacOS
         3       MacOS             464     APS Drive (1)
         4       MacOS              34     APS Drive (2)
         5       MacOS               1     APS Drive (3)

So far, so good, I suppose.  Then, I run Mkfs to try and convert
partition 3.  Had it worked, I then would have converted partition 4.
Here's the console output from the program:

=====
Console Inited

       scsi ID 0 - not present.
sd0 at scsi ID 1.
       scsi ID 2 - not present.
       scsi ID 3 - not present.
       scsi ID 4 - not present.
       scsi ID 5 - not present.
       scsi ID 6 - not present.
modesense of Current parameters, page 4(1)
get_DeviceInfo: Error on SCSIRead(), # 5, retry 0
Probably just a phase error, ignore the error -- this time.
Num Heads 4
Num Cylinders = 3658
modesense of Current parameters, page 3(1)
Bytes_Sector is 512
Sectors per Track is 128
Partition read, SCSIID = 1
Error: write_block to block 4, partition ranges from -1 to -2
I don't remember any errors, but I wasn't counting.
=====

>From my understanding, the get_DeviceInfo error is ignorable; I sort of
remember seeing this problem two years ago, when I first started using
netbsd.  However, the write_block error is new.  What am I doing wrong?

--
           John Price  ***  ***   ***  ***  pricej@jlab.org
           Where there is no solution, there is no problem.