Subject: cat on console locks terminals out?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Sheldon Simms <sheldon@atlcom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/05/1997 02:21:52
I've been trying to use emacs, and since neither X or dt work on my Q650
(although I haven't tried the latest -current yet) I have spent the past
couple of days fixing the console terminal emulation in ite.c. After
rewriting writechar() to speed it up I decided to see how fast it was
by cat-ing a large file on the console and through my serial terminal
(actually an Apple II) at the same time and comparing the two.

I decided on this test because I had noticed that screen refreshes in vi
and emacs seemed faster on the terminal at 19.2kbps (which is why I
rewrote writechar() in the first place).

I started the cat on the terminal, and then started it on the console.
Immediately the cat on the terminal stopped and only resumed when the
cat on the console was finished. I rebooted with the GENERIC #36 kernel
and tried again, just to make sure it wasn't something I did, with the
same results.

Can anyone explain this behavior to me?