Subject: Re: Quadra: unexpected trap on install?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/04/1997 17:17:11
Actually, this doesn't look like the message that an unexpected a-line
trap causes.  a-line traps are those caused by executing an instruction
word with the high 4-bits = 0xA (eg, 0xa07b is the trap that calls
ADBReInit).  When the mrg glue code encounters an a-line instruction that
it doesn't know how to implement, it really says (code fragment from
macrom.c, routine mrg_aline_super()):

        printf("unknown %s trap 0x%x, no trap address available\n",
                isOStrap ? "OS" : "ToolBox", trapword);
        panic("mrg_aline_super()");

The message you're getting, "unexpected trap; vector offset 0xb from
0x002000", sounds more like a report of some wierd hardware-oriented trap
condition, although I can't for the life of me figure out what!  :)

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> [installing on a Q630]
>
> > I am aware that the Quadra is not fully supported by NetBSD mac68k but
> > from what I can tell on the web site I should be able to at least run it
> > in console mode.
> >
> > Everything installs well and then I get to the booter.  I tell it to boot
> > from the devide on ID 4.  It begins booting, lists off 5 numbers in
> > XXXXX+XXXXX+XXXXX+XXXX format.  Then it boots into BSD, goes to the black
> > and white all text terminal screen.  Shows that it's loading:
>
> Good...
>
> > NetBSD 1.2.2
> > Apple Macintosh Quadra 630
> > real mem=20971520
> > avail mem=17457152
> > using 240 buffers containing 835584 bytes
> > mrg: Quadra/Centris ROMs, ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
> > adb: bus subsystem
> > Got following HwCfgFlags: 0xfc80, 0x4100183f, 0x4b807926, 0x      0
> > mrg: setup egret:
> > unexpected trap; vector offset 0xb from 0x002000.
> >
> > This is where it gets stuck after getting an this unexpected trap.  This
> > is the first time I've ever got this far with putting unix on my Mac,
> > usually something else breaks first.  I would greatly appreciate any
> > insight you may have about this type of problem, and any possible
> > work-arounds.  I have some marginal programming experience and am trying
> > to install this so I may better understand our UNIX systems at work, I
> > can play with it at home before breaking the computers at work and
> > getting the sys admins angry.  Frankly, I really don't know what an
> > unexpected trap means.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what to do, but it's not something you can directly
> fix. It is, however, something which can be fixed now that you mention
> the problem.
>
> Basically we try to fake out part of MacOS, by implimenting a bunch of the
> MacOS traps. You've run into one we don't fake out at the moment.
>
> I'm not one of the trap gurus, so I'll let them take it from here...
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |