Subject: Re: Quadra: unexpected trap on install?
To: Paul Yasi <pyasi@gis.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/04/1997 10:28:12
[installing on a Q630]

> I am aware that the Quadra is not fully supported by NetBSD mac68k but
> from what I can tell on the web site I should be able to at least run it
> in console mode.
>
> Everything installs well and then I get to the booter.  I tell it to boot
> from the devide on ID 4.  It begins booting, lists off 5 numbers in
> XXXXX+XXXXX+XXXXX+XXXX format.  Then it boots into BSD, goes to the black
> and white all text terminal screen.  Shows that it's loading:

Good...

> NetBSD 1.2.2
> Apple Macintosh Quadra 630
> real mem=20971520
> avail mem=17457152
> using 240 buffers containing 835584 bytes
> mrg: Quadra/Centris ROMs, ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
> adb: bus subsystem
> Got following HwCfgFlags: 0xfc80, 0x4100183f, 0x4b807926, 0x      0
> mrg: setup egret:
> unexpected trap; vector offset 0xb from 0x002000.
>
> This is where it gets stuck after getting an this unexpected trap.  This
> is the first time I've ever got this far with putting unix on my Mac,
> usually something else breaks first.  I would greatly appreciate any
> insight you may have about this type of problem, and any possible
> work-arounds.  I have some marginal programming experience and am trying
> to install this so I may better understand our UNIX systems at work, I
> can play with it at home before breaking the computers at work and
> getting the sys admins angry.  Frankly, I really don't know what an
> unexpected trap means.

I'm not entirely sure what to do, but it's not something you can directly
fix. It is, however, something which can be fixed now that you mention
the problem.

Basically we try to fake out part of MacOS, by implimenting a bunch of the
MacOS traps. You've run into one we don't fake out at the moment.

I'm not one of the trap gurus, so I'll let them take it from here...

Take care,

Bill