Subject: Re: AV video patch
To: Sheldon Simms <sheldon@atlcom.net>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/03/1997 11:16:13
[snip]
> intvid0    at obio?            # Internal video hardware
> macvid*    at nubus?           # NuBus video card
>
> # Attach grf semantics to all video hardware as it is found
> grf*       at intvid?
> grf*       at macvid?
>
> # Attach ite semantics to the appropriate grf device
> ite0       at grf?
[snip]
> me to alter these lines any, maybe remove the 'macvid* at nubus' and/or the
> 'grf* at macvid?' lines?
>
> The internal video works for the console, but nothing else (dt or X).

Well, if you're not using any NuBus video you should be able to shut off
macvid* but that won't solve your problem. There are a few things that could
cause this problem:

1. You have to build all of the grf devices for X to work properly.
2. The Quadra/AV's video has the correct base address, size, and offset
   but somewhere in the kernel the video addresses according the the grf
   driver are goofed up.

If you're getting a console there's no reason in the world why the kernel
can't support black and white X.

> mainbus0 (root)
> obio0 at mainbus0
> adb0 at obio0 (ADB event device)
> asc0 at obio0: Apple Sound Chip

Hey! No ite device either. That's interesting. I guess because there are
no grf devices, the ite device just doesn't show up.

Well, looks to me like the machine might be failing to find the grf device
upon match/attach. There's a line in those functions that's along the lines
of if video address == 0 and some other condition. Perhaps both fail on the
Quadras/AV's.

The console still works because, if I remember correctly, it grabs it's
values directly from the booter while the grf device grabs them from the
booter and stores a copy of them.

A fix for this should be fairly simple, I think. Scott?