Subject: Re: AV video patch
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Sheldon Simms <sheldon@atlcom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/02/1997 01:21:43
Nathaniel R. Fellows wrote:

> ... When I do "startx" I get the "Fatal server error: Can't run X with no
> screens!". In the FAQ, it says this is because my video is not fully supported
> (I have a Quadra 660AV)... The FAQ suggests doing a dmesg command to search my
> boot message for a grf0 entry. I don't find one (if I'm doing it right).
> But there are grf0 and grf1 in my /dev directory.

This is exactly the same situation I'm in now, except I'm using a kernel I
compiled from -current of July 26. I used the GENERIC config and it has the
lines:

intvid0    at obio?            # Internal video hardware
macvid*    at nubus?           # NuBus video card

# Attach grf semantics to all video hardware as it is found
grf*       at intvid?
grf*       at macvid?

# Attach ite semantics to the appropriate grf device
ite0       at grf?

that seem to deal with video. I am planning on building with an altered config
to see if I can get rid of some of the kernel stuff I don't need. Would it help
me to alter these lines any, maybe remove the 'macvid* at nubus' and/or the
'grf* at macvid?' lines?

The internal video works for the console, but nothing else (dt or X).

My system is a Centris 650 that everything thinks is a Quadra 650. I clock
chipped it a few years ago and swapped a resistor on the motherboard to make
the serial ports work. That made everything think it's a Quadra 650 and
makes it look like the Centris and Quadra 650's were exactly the same apart
from the Centris being intentionally crippled. Somehow that doesn't surprise
me coming from Apple. Anyway here's my dmesg output that lacks the grf line:

NetBSD 1.2G (GENERIC) #5: Thu Jul 31 15:17:44 EDT 1997
    root@rumil:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
Apple Macintosh Quadra 650  (68040)
real mem = 25165824
avail mem = 21159936
using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
mrg: 'Quadra/Centris ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
mrg: I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly.
adb: bus subsystem
Got following HwCfgFlags: 0xfc00, 0x 580183f, 0x  803900, 0x  a57b64
mrg: Not setting up egret.
mrg: ADB interrupts enabled.
adb: extended keyboard at 2
adb: 200 dpi mouse at 3
mainbus0 (root)
obio0 at mainbus0
adb0 at obio0 (ADB event device)
asc0 at obio0: Apple Sound Chip
sn0 at obio0 address 08:00:07:ac:ef:32
esp0 at obio0: address 0x895000: NCR53C96, 16MHz, SCSI ID 7
scsibus0 at esp0: 8 targets
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <QUANTUM, FIREBALL_TM2110S, 300X> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0: 2014MB, 6810 cyl, 4 head, 151 sec, 512 bytes/sec x 4124736 sectors
cd0 at scsibus0 targ 3 lun 0: <SONY, CD-ROM CDU-8003A, 1.9a> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
zsc0 at obio0 chip type 0
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1
nubus0 at mainbus0
fpu0 at mainbus0 (mc68040)
boot device: sd0
root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
PRAM: 0x33e11a08, macos_boottime: 0x33e119ff.
root file system type: ffs