Subject: AV video patch
From: Nathaniel R. Fellows <nat@stonebreaker.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/01/1997 20:17:00
Hello. I have installed the X package from the 1.2 distribution. I edited
my /etc/rc.local as per the FAQ's instructions (for ldconfig), and added X
stuff to my .cshrc path setting. When I do "startx" I get the "Fatal server
error: Can't run X with no screens!". In the FAQ, it says this is because
my video is not fully supported (I have a Quadra 660AV). The FAQ suggests
doing a dmesg command to search my boot message for a grf0 entry. I don't
find one (if I'm doing it right). But there are grf0 and grf1 in my /dev
directory. I tried the MAKEDEV command the FAQ also suggests. I am running
GENERIC 36, so that might be my problem. So I downloaded from Dave Huang's
web page the AV video patch ("GEDD-diff"). Would this fix my problem? And
if it will, how do I apply the patch?

Thanks,

Nat Fellows