Subject: Re: root shell?
To: Ben Cottrell <benco@pendor.mckusick.com>
From: John Ostrowick <jon@colossus.cs.wits.ac.za>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/01/1997 00:06:26
>> ok, thanks; tcsh is in /etc/shells (of course i knew that) - but it still
>> misbehaves :-(
>
>oops :> My apologies for that--it's hard to judge people's admin knowledge
>over email :-)

no offense taken

>> any helpful urls :-) ?
>
>Sure! bash is GNU, so it's easily downloadable at:
>        ftp://ftp.gnu.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/bash-2.01.tar.gz
>and     ftp://ftp.gnu.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/bash-doc-2.01.tar.gz

thanks, i'll try it

>As regards the original question: that's very weird... it should Just Work.
>Can you give me the exact text of the error messages you get, and tell me how
>to reproduce the problems?

ok, what i'll do is try the change to bash, if the system works smoothly
(it was a long time ago that i tried this last), i'll leave it. if it
messes up, i'll come back with the error report. as i said, it came up with
bizzarre things like error messages from cron and sendmail. :-7 ? anyway,
lemme try and i'll return if it messes up (or not).

thanks for all the help

John Ostrowick
Computer Science Department,   University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Ave, Johannesburg, South Africa. Senate House 1012
Phone: +27 11 716-3783         Fax: +27 11 339-3513
jon@cs.wits.ac.za              jon@is.co.za
My web page: http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/more/jon/aboutme.html
My ftp site: ftp://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za
My listserv: http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/listservs.html