Subject: Re: disappearing files until reboot
To: None <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/06/1997 14:42:54
> here's a glitch on a Q700
> netbsd  temporarily loosing files until reboot.
>
> >>the copy command cp? it never fails that i've got to reboot after
> >>copying files, otherwise using the vi editor on a freshly copied file
> >>shows the file doesn't exist, but after rebooting there it is! All
> >>other directories are fine except the target directory until after
> >>rebooting.
>
> ...the same problem.
>
> Henry Holtz suggests...
> >This shouldn't happen!  Try booting to single-user mode and do a
> >fsck -f.(I think that's right.  The option is to tell it to check the
> >fs even if it is marked clean.  You may also need to specify which
> >filesystem, e.g. /.)
>
> tried this also; no [y/n] prompts or anything. After reboot the copied
> files now appear in target directory.
>
> fsck on read-only filesystem shows some blocks cannot be written to. How
> could i test this if that's the reason?

Wait, did you fsck a r/w file system?? That's VERY bad. Also, not being able
to write to a certian block is a problem.

> notes: macQ700 external sd2 rootfile system 4.2bsd by mkfs 1.4
> HFS at end of harddrive for minimal OS and booter 1.9.6
  (really only needed for 1.9.6 and stupid formatters)

Show us some logs, complete with ls before cp, ls after cp, and
error messages from vi. Oh, and how about the messages from fsck
when it's complaining about bad blocks.

Take care,

Bill